« The sound you just heard was Bill Shakespeare turning over in his grave | Main | What's the Deal with the Pointage? »

July 11, 2004

Instant Literature Poll: Best Children's Book Ever???

lorax.jpg

This, or the House at Pooh Corner. There are none other as far as I'm concerned.

25 points for every compelling argument for a book other than these two. 50 points if you convince me.

Begin.

Posted by Dan at July 11, 2004 12:32 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Instant Literature Poll: Best Children's Book Ever???:

» longchamp en solde from longchamp en solde
Hands down, Apple's app store wins by a mile. It's a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I'm not sure I'd want to bet on the future if this aspe... [Read More]

Tracked on April 30, 2013 02:40 PM

» SyxwcEwL from SyxwcEwL
Popping Culture: Instant Literature Poll: Best Children's Book Ever??? [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 11:13 AM

» burberry bags from burberry bags

Tracked on May 2, 2013 01:34 PM

» miu miu from miu miu

Tracked on May 2, 2013 04:26 PM

» sac louis vuitton from sac louis vuitton

Tracked on May 2, 2013 04:26 PM

Comments

C'mon! Maurice Sendak's "Where The Wild Things Are" is the best. How could any kid resist the temptation of sneaking out of their room after being punished to go party with a bunch of superfly monsters? LET THE WILD RUMPUS START!!!

Posted by: Thief at July 14, 2004 06:00 PM

Yeah, I thought of "Goodnight, Moon" as well, for the younger kids. Still you can't compare "Where the Wild Things Are" to "The House at Pooh Corner."

Posted by: Big Dan at July 14, 2004 09:01 PM

Daddy Mountain

My little girl has Pooh painted all over her room, yet, Daddy Mountain wins out every time.

This is the part where I have to convince you, right?

1) My little girl says, "Cat-ass-tuphe". Is there another children's book that slips in 4-syllable words? Sure, it should be "catastrophe", but my little girl is 2 /12. Cat-ass-tuphe is pretty damn close, I think.
2) The name of the book says it all. A little girl is climbing up to the top of her Daddy's shoulders. Hence, "Daddy Mountain". If it don't make a Daddy smile with glee, then that Daddy has a black-as-coal heart.
3) The scene at the end where the Mommy spots the little girl on top of the "mountain" is a real-life portrait of my wife freaking out when she sees my little girl 6 ft off the ground and balancing on 1 leg and half a tiny butt cheek.

Posted by: WeepBoy at July 15, 2004 01:14 AM

Weepboy,

Hard to score. It's more than compelling (how can a man NOT be convinced by a little girl on her Pa's shoulders) but, still, House at Pooh Corner... c'mon.

I'll award 30 points.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 15, 2004 07:59 AM

Also, 25 to Thief.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 15, 2004 08:00 AM

Good Night Moon. And I'm not going to try to convince you, because I'm right.

Posted by: Thomas Merton at July 16, 2004 02:23 PM

I am utterly shocked that I don't see "Oh, The Places You'll Go". However, my personal favourite children's book of all time, one which children enjoy, and which I enjoy reading to them, no matter how many times they ask, is Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs, by Judi Barrett.

Kids just love the illustrations. They love the concept of food raining from the sky, because the imagination easily wanders from the story line to the possible complications that could arize from such weather. Then, when the weather takes a turn for the worse, then they get all giggly. When the story ends, they imagine what it would be like to live in such a place.

Points or not, I would recommend this one to anyone that has the opportunity to read to kids.

Posted by: Mr. E. at August 23, 2004 09:01 AM