« THIS is what I'm talkin' 'bout | Main | You heard it here first! »

July 10, 2004

Most Disappointing Sequel(s) Ever!

Usually, I won't use this post to discuss movies less than, say, 5 years old. A movie has to be a classic to be worth words in a blog, yes? Nevertheless, a movie I consider a classic (despite its sci-fi background, no less) went through a subtle change yesterday thanks to my own stupidity.

I promised I wouldn't do it.

For many, many months, I held out. I was strong and I was right.

31m.jpg

Then, yesterday, it happened. I watched the second two movies in what I refuse to call "The Matrix Trilogy." In my mind, the final two movies don't exist. The Matrix, like the Cheese, stands alone.

There sat the two traitors to my fond memories on the video rental shelf (I had just returned To Catch A Thief) and I was weak. Five nights for two dollars. Might as well have been 30 pieces of silver.

I heard bad reviews of the second Matrix movie, Reloaded, and promised I would never sully my love for the first movie by watching a sequel I KNEW would never be nearly as good as the original.

The first Matrix was a complete film unto itself. It had a character in process, and the movie ended with him allowing himself to become. He had defined himself by choosing to believe. The story was, and should have remained, over. Yes, yes, the bad guys weren't all dead yet, but that's really not what The Matrix was about.

It is, on the other hand, what the other two were about. The final two movies were little more than high-priced western shoot-em-ups, with no subplots or themes (and don't give me that Passion of the Christ, sacrificial death at the end of Revolutions nonsense - it was easy and required no skill on the part of the screenwriter).

The hell of it is that The Matrix worked on so many levels and, while I would never have guessed it would become one of my all-time favorites, it did just that. Now I have to scrub my frontal lobe with soap to get out the grit the last two movies left behind in their search for bigger explosions and larger paydays.

So here's the game: Is there a more disappointing sequel (or sequels) out there in film history? I don't mean movies that were just awful and happened to be sequels.

I mean that in all of film history, I can't remember any movie that was as great as The Matrix that produced such pedestrian sequels. Anyone? I should also qualify this to include only movies with the original cast or at least the original director.

50 points for every comment that includes a movie sequel that was more disappointing than either Reloaded and Revolutions.

Posted by Dan at July 10, 2004 01:34 PM

Comments

Dean didn't exactly name a film more disappointing than the Matrix sequels, but from all I hear, Godfather III is close to purists. Since I'm a generous tyrant, 25 points to Dean.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 15, 2004 08:02 AM

I'm late to the game, and I'm not gonna win any points anyway, because I 100% agree with you, Dan. (I'm not used to being this agreeable.)

Matrix Reloaded = Worst. Sequel. Ever.

Revenge of the Nerds Part III is a close second, though, but the original wasn't as good as the original Matrix.

Posted by: Stacie at August 3, 2004 09:06 AM

I still can't believe I watched these two sequels. It's a horror I'll have to live with, I guess.

It really felt like the two movies after "The Matrix" were sequels to some other movie altogether - probably a Stallone movie.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 3, 2004 09:11 AM

If the worst sequel ever means that it has to have come from a promising first movie, then I have to agree with all the posts here.

However, if we can talk for a moment about a movie that shouldn't have been made in the first place, but somehow, because humanity is cruel and inherently evil, became a franchise, I offer Superman IV.

I know, Christopher Reeve is a fine actor. I thought his work in Somewhere in Time was paletable, and his work as Superman was less nauseating than it could have been, but by the time it reached the end of the line, the Superman franchise has turned from a pleasant romp into comic book fantasy to a pendulant morality tale that preached a fire-and-brimstone anti-nuke message with a lame villian and even more lame plot line.

Compared to Superman IV, any Matrix sequel, any Godfather sequel, even any Rocky sequle is a cinematic wonder.

Thank you for your time.

Posted by: Mr. E. at August 23, 2004 09:19 AM

Wow... Supes 4 was pretty lame. It's hard to set this one in context of the times to compare it to the crappy Matrix sequels.

I'll give the same 25 I gave to Dean.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 23, 2004 10:49 AM