« New from Van Halen | Main | From Popping Culture's "The General Ain't Never Let Us Down Yet, Luke!" Desk. »

July 31, 2004

Read something, why don't you?

Here are Amazon's top ten sellers as of this very moment. How many have you read?

1. The 9/11 Commission Report

by Tommy R. Franks, et al

9. Lost City
by Clive Cussler, Paul Kemprecos

10. Eats, Shoots & Leaves
by Lynne Truss

Posted by Dan at July 31, 2004 08:57 PM

Comments

Haven't read a one. I did just finish up The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson. As one would expect, it was quite excellent--entertaining, informative, funny, fascinating. I'm sad because I'm running out of books by him to read.

On to David Mitchell's Number9Dream, which my friend raves about. His other book Ghostwritten was a great read, I found, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Posted by: Joel Caris at August 1, 2004 04:50 AM

I got lucky this time... I've actually read 4 of 10.

I found The Lost Continent to be some of Bryson's best work ever. My favorite of his is A Walk in the Woods, from when he and Katz slogged their way up (most of) the Appalachian Trail.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 1, 2004 08:19 AM

A Walk in the Woods is the first book I read by him. I don't know if I'd label it as my favorite or not--I've never thought about it--but it was excellent. It certainly hooked me on him.

It was a long time ago that I read it. I've had some vague thoughts of rereading it, especially considering how much I've been getting into hiking the last couple years.

Posted by: Joel Caris at August 1, 2004 03:32 PM

By the way, I picked up The Alchemist at Powell's the other day. I'll be reading that soon and I'll let you know what I think.

Posted by: Joel Caris at August 1, 2004 04:02 PM

One. The 9/11 report -- downloaded, though.

Posted by: Stacie at August 1, 2004 05:22 PM

Joel, I hope you got the version with the study questions at the end.

It took a few readings to peel back the deeper layers. Nevertheless, I love to hear that someone new is reading it.

Stacie, the first 40 pages alone make the 9/11 report worth the cost of admission. Did you get through the whole thing?

Posted by: Big Dan at August 1, 2004 11:17 PM

I forgot all about the study questions, Dan, but it just so happens that I did indeed get that version. So good on me, I guess.

I think I'm going to wait on the Mitchell book and just dive right into The Alchemist. I'm very curious and it will be a pretty quick read it looks like.

Posted by: Joel Caris at August 2, 2004 07:12 AM

I've read most of it; I spent the most time on the first part (the chronology of 9/11) and the recommendations. I need to go back for some depth.

Posted by: Stacie at August 2, 2004 08:33 AM