« The Sopranos kill them... Six Feet Under buries them... THEN the fun really begins. | Main | This just in! »

July 23, 2004

Who can take a rainbow.... turn it into 25 Culture Maven points?

wonkpic6.jpg

Popping Culture can!

The remake of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory is on its way with none other than Johnny Depp as the big Wonk himself! Not a bad choice from the current talent pool, I must admit.

This is beyond huge: first of all, Willie Wonka is one of our all-time favorites (even if we still cringe to go through that tunnel!) AND the director is our all-time favorite bar-none Tim Burton! Huge, I tell you! Huge!

Now, for 25 points, pretend Depp got the flu. What other current Hollywood actor would you like to see in the Willy Wonka role? 50 points if your pick would do an equal or better job than Depp in my opinion.

Begin.

Posted by Dan at July 23, 2004 08:52 AM

Comments

Michael Caine

Posted by: Rosemary's Baby at July 23, 2004 09:14 AM

Robin Williams

Posted by: Ralph at July 23, 2004 09:39 AM

Michael Caine would be good because he can play any role and would be believable in an "end of his candy career" bit because of his age. The physical energy needed in the role might break a hip, though.

25 points to Rosemary's Baby.

Robin Williams would have more than enough energy. I think he would have to be very tempered in his improvisation to fit the role. He might also have to change his look. Wonka was more of a sophisticated, loving eccentric while Williams is more commonly (in comedies) an over-the-top, rampaging wildman.

Can't go 50, but 25 for Ralph is a must.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 23, 2004 10:12 AM

Matthew Broderick ... He's 42 now & has talent to burn.

Posted by: Jheka at July 23, 2004 02:18 PM

Now, THERE is a suggestion! Still the impish face, a more mature actor... cerebral, eccentric.

I think I'm sold.

He'd at least do as well as Depp at THIS PARTICULAR role, I think... it might even be a Broderick revival like Travolta in Get Shorty.

I don't see any reason not to add 50 points, which will appear on your score in the next Culture Mavens points update.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 23, 2004 02:31 PM

Ewan McGregor would be good, too. Do I get more points?

Posted by: Rosemary's Baby at July 23, 2004 03:51 PM

No more points, but I agree he would do a good job. I am taking the 25 points you earned under the name "Stephanie" and putting them in with the "Rosemary's Baby" points for the next update.

To all who are interested in scoring points, please just post under one name.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 23, 2004 03:57 PM

Even though there's no more points, I'd like to add Robert Downey Jr. I've always assumed there was some sort of cocaine undercurrent for Wonka.

Posted by: Stacie at July 25, 2004 09:59 PM

There are always more points at Popping Culture!

Unless the post says "first to answer" or somesuch. Downey, Jr. is an interesting choice and the drug angle is well-said. I think that to play such a nuanced role, you have to be stone cold sober though.. and you have to be someone folks would take their kids to see.

25 heaping points for Stacie!

Next update should be tomorrow.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 25, 2004 11:07 PM

Neato. Thanks, Dan!

Posted by: Stacie at July 26, 2004 09:47 AM

Don't know if this is still open or not, but I'll put in a nod for Bill Murray, if I couldn't have Johnny Depp--who I think is a brilliant choice. Murray could be pretty interesting, though. He's got the comedy down, certainly, but can also do some good drama and weariness, which seems to be essential for the role. After witnessing his magnifecence in Lost in Translation, I'd be willing to bet he would do a great job and might just be able to add some surprising dimension to good old Willy Wonka.

Posted by: Joel Caris at July 26, 2004 07:29 PM

I thought of Bill Murray, too, Joel, so that's worth 25. I can't give you more, though, because Billy (while being one of my top 5 favorites all time) is more sarcastic than whimsical and high-energy. He's a little long in the tooth, now, too.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 26, 2004 09:10 PM

You make good points, Dan. But I'll happily take my 25 points and lovingly horde them.

I can later cash these in for goods and/or services, right?

Posted by: Joel Caris at July 26, 2004 09:14 PM

Something like that.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 26, 2004 09:18 PM

Christopher Walken, just because it would give the kiddies nightmares.

Posted by: The Chairman at July 30, 2004 08:48 AM

Forget the kids. I myself would have nightmares. Nevertheless, you fulfilled the quiz obligations and have earned 25 nightmarish points.

Posted by: Big Dan at July 30, 2004 09:12 AM

I'm sorry. I know I'm supposed to take this seriously, but I can't get this thought out of my head.

Keanu Reeves IS Wonka!

Posted by: Mr. E. at August 22, 2004 03:54 AM

25 belated points for the first Wonka ever who couldn't smile.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 22, 2004 08:27 AM