« They have said their prayers, and they stay for death. -Shakespeare, Henry V (4.2.56) | Main | This just KILLS me. »

August 31, 2004

MONKeying around with a successful neurotic

253660.jpg

Monk is one of the two television shows (not counting Sportscenter and the Daily Show) that I watch regularly, the other being the oft-discussed (well, here, anyway) Dead Like Me.

I know I'm not the only one who watches Monk. So surely one of you Culture Mavens understands what a loss to the show the disappearance of Sharona will be.

Note that she didn't quit. They fired her.

Discuss.

Posted by Dan at August 31, 2004 05:30 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference MONKeying around with a successful neurotic:

» Wholesale nike jordan from Wholesale nike jordan
The latest review discloses the low down around Air Jordan 11 Concord Size 6 and additionally the reason why you have to take action now. [Read More]

Tracked on April 29, 2013 09:48 AM

Comments

This is a gravemistake on their part. Monk without a nurse is sort of like taking Ironsides out of his wheelchair. It means a fundamental change to his character.

My roommate out here had never seen Monk before. We went through the first season in about 5 days, and he's hooked now, but Bitty Schram was a bit part of that newfound addiction.

Posted by: Mr. E. at September 1, 2004 02:16 AM

Oh, geez. I love Monk and this is a major, majpr mistake. Sharona and her son are absolutely essential to the show. They are the straight men to Shaloub's brilliantly eccentric Monk. The boy gave him terrific depth and the Sharona character was well written and well acted. It was the tether between Monk and the real world.

Yuck.

Posted by: Jheka at September 1, 2004 04:12 AM

Although I am a HUGE fan of Monk (when Tony Shalhoub won an Emmy, it brought a tear to my eye), I have decided to reserve judgment until I see what they're doing. But I will miss Sharona. She's an awesome character and Bitty Shram did a fantastic job in the role. Bitty was told in A League of Their Own that there's no crying in baseball, and I hope she's not crying in Hollywood, either.

Posted by: Rosemary's Baby at September 1, 2004 08:21 AM

Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap stupid TV people crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap.

I'll leave it ambiguous about whether I'm more upset about Sharona's leaving or about liking the same TV shows as Big Dan.

I also have to say that any word repeated so often looks wierd.

Posted by: folkbum at September 1, 2004 11:22 PM

Flickblum,

I think a time like this transcends our petty hatred.

Well, maybe it SHOULD.

I agreed with the "crap" part.

Posted by: Big Dan at September 2, 2004 09:17 AM

First they kept moving the time of the show and showing it in short bursts. Then they got rid of the perfect theme song. Now this. Who at USA is trying to sabotage this wonderful, whimsical, brilliant show?

Posted by: larry at September 19, 2004 09:18 PM

Big big mistake. Onbe of the first rules in show biz is that you never mess with a winning formula.
my guess is that many of us watched the show as much for her as for the episodes proper.
I've also noticed that they are getting just a bit too cute with the Monk character. It won't continue to work unless they keep it subtle and act like they are not calling attetion to his defect.
But hey, what do I know?

Posted by: pepe nero at October 15, 2004 11:09 PM

I'm with you nero.

The show worked at first because of the balance. It won't work as a "take out other personalities and let's laugh at the funny crazy man".

Posted by: Big Dan at October 16, 2004 09:00 AM

I agree very much with the don't screw with a winning formula philosophy and equally with the great job Bitty was doing with the series. I have seen every episode at least 5+ times thanks to USAs idiotic scheduling and my love of the show. But after giving it some thought I noticed that Sharona was becoming more of the Dr. Watson character then the keep him grounded nurse. Actually some of those episodes are my favorite shows but it also didn't leave any room for Monk to grow. He was becoming personally stagnant. He needed a person to assist him no doubt, but out of his depression and obsessions. That is if they were ever going to give him a chance to get back on the force. The shrink was a waste except to alow us into little insites of Monks personality and a segway. I'm willing to give the new combo some time to gel. Maybe their shared loss will open him up???? I'd like to know the real story!!

Posted by: Packrat at April 10, 2005 02:22 AM

Bring back Sharona!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved Monk when Sharona was on the show -- now I won't watch it.

Posted by: Liz at July 4, 2005 01:10 PM

Please bring back Sharona! The spark between Sharona and Monk was superb. The new character is OK, however, Sharona is worth whtever it takes to get her back. She is a real winner for "Monk" and for the network.

Posted by: Roma at July 4, 2005 09:16 PM

AGGH! Sharona is the best! She added style and personality to the show! She totally needs to return because it isn't the same without her. Not that I don't like Natalie, but I just think she has no edge, unlike Sharona, who made the show fun to watch and intriguing. Monk will never be the same without her.

Posted by: Kanga at July 9, 2005 03:20 PM

Please bring back Bitty Shram. The new character is sooo pedestrian and Sharona was just the right character that worked in every premise. She is an excellent ingredient in the cast. All of the people USA hired to play in guest spots are always right on the mark. What happened? Natalee is like adding wheat germ to tiramisu-----not a great idea.

Posted by: paula at July 16, 2005 07:02 AM