« Thanks to Dean for this clever link... | Main | Speaking of Neil Gaiman... »

August 07, 2004

We're On A Mission From God... For Points!

capt.ny12408071806.blues_brothers_ny124

Some undoubtedly hip BBC wags named the soundtrack from The Blues Brothers, one of Popping Culture's all-time favorite bits of cinema, to the top of the all-time best movie soundtrack list.

I can't really think of any competition here, even among the non-first finishers they named.

Top Gun? Saturday Night Fever? The Sound of Music?

I would put Moulin Rouge at number two, but I'm a romantic. Let me know your favorite soundtrack and why for an easy 35 Culture Mavens Points.

Posted by Dan at August 7, 2004 10:26 PM

Comments

This is easy. Blues Brothers is very, very good but the best (and this isn't close) is the soundtrack for The Commitments (the first one ... they put out a second one after the first did so well but the first is clearly the best). Seriously, it's possibly the best CD I own and I own a lot of CDs. There isn't a bad track on it.

Posted by: Jheka at August 8, 2004 01:15 AM

I dunno... the soundtrack for Forrest Gump was awesome... Jimi Hendrix, the Byrds, CSNY, Iron Butterfly, Jefferson Airplane, Simon & Garfunkel...

big names, big songs

Posted by: Chris from NH at August 8, 2004 01:25 AM

Good work.

There are a few other great soundtracks out there. I suspect we'll hear from others about them.

Mainly musicals... Chicago? Meet Me in St. Louis? That last one had the classics "The Boy Next Door," "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas (for the first time anywhere)," and "The Trolley Song," not to mention the song "Meet Me in St. Louis," itself.

35 for each of yas.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 8, 2004 01:32 AM

Hmm, do scores count?

Posted by: Joel Caris at August 8, 2004 02:34 AM

I know this'll get me stamped "Goth", but The Crow soundtrack is my pick. Machines Of Loving Grace, Jesus And Mary Chain, The Cure, Nine Inch Nails covering Joy Division, Violent Femmes, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Rollins Band, Rage Against The Machine...

Good stuff.

Too bad the movie wasn't nearly as good as the book, though Brandon Lee was perfect in his (unfortunately, last) role.

Posted by: The Chairman at August 8, 2004 04:16 AM

Do scores count? I don't understand the question.

For instance, the 35 points the Chairman got just now for answering the question will appear on the points list in the right sidebar next update. I'm not sure what you're asking.

All I know is "The Crow," while a tad violent for my tastes, is one of the best made movies ever.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 8, 2004 07:44 AM

Film scores (as in musical score), I think he's asking. A composer 'scores' a film.

Posted by: The Chairman at August 8, 2004 08:30 AM

Best soundtracks I can think of:
The Phenomenon
The Big Chill

Best musical scores:
The Sound of Music
The Wizard of Oz

I agree, Forrest Gump's soundtrack was pretty darn good.

Posted by: Ralph at August 8, 2004 09:15 AM

The Chairman is correct. I was talking about film scores--the instrumental music throughout a movie.

Posted by: Joel Caris at August 8, 2004 02:08 PM

Well, Joel, for you, I'll count a film score.

But just because we served together back in the Big One.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 8, 2004 02:15 PM

And 35 for Ralph.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 8, 2004 02:16 PM

"Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" was beautifully scored. And also the best movie I've seen this year, but I digress.

I do have a soft spot for the "South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut" soundtrack -- our late cockatiel absolutely loved the Uncle song (are we allowed to curse here?).

Posted by: Stacie at August 8, 2004 09:43 PM

Vince Guaraldi's "A Charlie Brown Christmas." This actually may be my favorite album, period. So good, it's not just for Christmas any more.

Posted by: Rosemary's Baby at August 8, 2004 10:00 PM

Stacie,

Of course you are... nobody seems to though. I guess they can get enough of that, erm, everywhere else on the web.

Blame Canada!

35 points for Stacie and Rosemary's Baby.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 8, 2004 11:14 PM

Stacie, by the way, is very far ahead of the otherwise close pack on Culture Mavens points... you guys might want to double back and see if you missed any points posts.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 8, 2004 11:30 PM

Man, I like The Commiments better than Jheka! If I were going to choose another, though, I would go with Holiday Inn. For one thing, it finalizes the idea that Jewish people write the best Christmas music. It also has Fred Astaire singing solos and Bing Crosby dancing.

This is a really great list of soundtracks, though. Every time I thought of one, I found it was already on the list.

Posted by: Mr. E. at August 23, 2004 08:43 AM

Mr. E gets a smooth 35 points.

Posted by: Big Dan at August 23, 2004 10:43 AM

You didn't specify that it had to be a movie soundtrack, so I'm going with the Buffy musical. Frankly, it's the soundtrack that's gotten the most play from me.

The songs are great and creative. The actors do a fine job of nailing their numbers, despite the fact that they are not professional singers. The lyrics throughout are great--funny, poignant, silly, dramatic, and so on. There's Anya going on a rock tangent about bunnies, the magnificent "I'll Never Tell," which is just full of energy, the heartbreaking "I'm Under Your Spell," which is made all the worse if you know what is still to come in season six. There's Spike singing "Rest In Peace" and the poignant duet between Giles and Tara--who are both very good singers and work well together.

Finally, you have "Something To Sing About" which just cuts to everything Buffy is going through in season six. I love the soundtrack, plain and simple. It's inventive and better than it has any right to be. It also never fails to evoke memories of the episode itself, which is one of my favorite ones. The soundtrack is outstanding, period.

Posted by: Joel Caris at September 19, 2004 04:30 AM

I did like the Buffy musical, not to mention it was a critical episode for virtually all of the season's subplots. 35 for yas.

Posted by: Big Dan at September 19, 2004 10:47 PM

The soundtrack to Blade II. Please, let me explain. (They have released two soundtracks to Blade II, both are important.)

My brother, bless his heart, is a techno freak. His room is just next to me and as you can imagine, I have been subjected to A LOT of music in this genre. I hate most of what would be called techno, but I do know GOOD techno when I hear it.

It has to have a certain speed; too slow and you kill the song, too fast and it gives the listener a headache. The rhythm has to be constant and change at the perfect moment. New sounds and instruments have to be introduced at, again, the perfect moment in sync with the change of rhythm, and it has to fit together with what is already pounding the life out of your speakers. If there are lyrics, it has to either match perfectly with the music or stand out to such an extreme that it borders on horrible.

Most of the techno on the Blade II soundtrack (both albums) is like that. It's perfect for the speed of the fighting scenes, the dark, heavy mood and the general feel of the movie. (I won't get in on the bad hip hop We Wanna Do Techno shite that's on one of the albums.)

Oh, and no points are needed, I'm not sure I'll be participating in any of the other point gathering missions. I just like the exchange of opinions.

Posted by: Cobby at January 9, 2005 11:49 PM

I really liked 'The Last Samurai's ST. The music of the movie is really powerful, and IMO the movie is the best movie ever.

Posted by: rolandog at July 11, 2005 01:52 AM