« Pre-Halloween eye candy | Main | Star Wars Episode III teaser poster revealed. »

October 30, 2004

Halloween contest!

This will be the last chance to score points before our first contest ends. It doesn't really look like this is gonna make a difference standings-wise, but it's a chance to vent your opinion.

THE CONTEST:
Other than The Nightmare Before Christmas, what movie would you most like to watch on Halloween?

Most convincing answer gets 100 points and the honor of being the last contest winner before the points reset. Contest ends at midnight, along with the greater Culture Mavens battle.

(Note that this doesn't have to be a Halloween movie necessarily, just one that puts you in the Halloweenie mood. Also, note that I said other than The Nightmare Before Christmas, because it's a no-brainer and anyone who had put anything different would suddenly have found themselves in negative points. So I'm biased. Sue me.)

717951009395DDfsL01.jpg

Posted by Dan at October 30, 2004 10:58 PM

Comments

Honestly? Harold and Maude. I actually just watched it this week, in fact. But it's perfect:

It's morbid, and features the world's only Jaguar hearse
It's set in autumn, and not pretty autumn, but grey and bleak
It's both a celebration of life and of dying well
It's got a great Cat Stevens soundtrack

No, it isn't scary, but on Halloween I'm not out to be scared. I much prefer the Mexican/ Aztec "Day of the Dead" thing where you take the opportunity to honor your ancestors and reflect. This movie helps.

Posted by: folkbum at October 30, 2004 11:52 PM

Admittedly, I am going to watch a certain horror trilogy tomorrow, but it is only vaguely in reference to Halloween at all...I watch it at least 5-6 times a year anyways: The Evil Dead Trilogy. There's nothing better in the entire scary movie genre than this trilogy's combination of camp, satire, and comedy. Heck, I don't even really think of it as a horror movie so much as a chance to revel in the pure exuberance of saying, along with Ash, "Good...bad...I'm the guy with the gun," or "Then let's head on down into that cellar and carve ourselves a witch." Even after the Spiderman movies, these are the movies I will always remember Sam Raimi for making.

Posted by: Nathan at October 31, 2004 01:36 AM

I don't get into horror movies, but for my money, give me Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein.

For scary, I like M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs"

Posted by: Mr. E. at October 31, 2004 05:37 AM

I'm also partial to The Crow.

Posted by: Big Dan at October 31, 2004 09:57 PM

A scary movie that I find to be damn good--that I will be watching shortly, in fact--is 28 Days Later. It is simply an excellent zombie film. Very visceral, very immediate and you actually give somewhat of a damn about what happens to the people. It also has that end of the world thing going for it and I have to say that I'm a complete sucker for that. Any time you suggest to me that the human race is coming to an end, that's a scenario that makes me incredibly melancholy and thoughtful.

But yeah, the Nightmare Before Christmas is the top Halloween movie. My roommate won't let me watch it tonight, though. She apparently hates the songs. I think she's just crazy.

Posted by: Joel Caris at October 31, 2004 10:09 PM