« I couldn't understand a word of his acceptance speech, but by God, he deserved the award! | Main | Classical music: dying or reviving? »

October 06, 2004

Pay-per-Everything

amdf719378.jpg

Howard Stern is making the leap to the unregulated world of satellite radio.

First, all the good shows moved to HBO and Showtime. Now, this.

I've even heard rumors that NFL games might one day be available on a pay-per-view basis ONLY.

What do you make of all this extra cash for entertainment? For us at Popping Culture, the show Dead Like Me is worth the couple extra bucks a month for Showtime, but what about the day when everything we watch is a la carte. Is it just another money grab?

Posted by Dan at October 6, 2004 10:58 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Pay-per-Everything:

» Howard Stern moves to Sirius from UserDriven
"Though Howard Stern's defection from broadcast to satellite radio is still 16 months off, the industry is already trying to figure out what will fill the crater in ad revenue and listenership that he is expected to leave behind. Stern [Read More]

Tracked on October 8, 2004 06:25 AM

Comments

I would love to acquire broadcasting (television and radio) via an a la carte method. When I think of all of the cable channels (hundreds) that I don't watch, it seems a waste to have them included in a package I am paying for.

And at the rate radio broadcasting is going, it will be the same situation. I wouldn't want to pay for the Teenagers Trying To Sing To Me About Life When They Can't Even Drive Yet station when all I really listen to now is NPR.

Posted by: Rosemary's Baby at October 7, 2004 09:10 AM

Interesting thought. Since I watch only a few shows on television these days, it would probably save $ to just buy those shows I do watch.

It would also be nice not to have to stay up until 10 p.m. on Sunday nights to watch "Dead Like Me."

Posted by: Big Dan at October 8, 2004 07:52 AM

Stay up until 10pm? Why the hell don't you have a Tivo, Dan?

Seriously, they're magnificent devices. One will make your life complete.

Posted by: Joel Caris at October 9, 2004 11:20 PM

Does TiVo work with standard cable television?

I've been trying to make my life complete and nothing else (love, aspirin, minimum wage jobs, video games) is working.

Posted by: Big Dan at October 10, 2004 08:11 AM

It does indeed work with standard cable. That's what I use it with. Just being able to watch every Daily Show is worth it. It's even let me see both presidential debates (judge for yourself whether that's good or bad.)

It is 12.95 a month, though. But I still think it's far and away worth it. The whole notion of shows being on at a certain time will just go away.

Posted by: Joel Caris at October 10, 2004 04:46 PM

Oh, by the way, a Tivo is so much better than love.

It's about tied with Vicodin.

Er . . . forget I said that.

Posted by: Joel Caris at October 10, 2004 04:47 PM