« Christmasy culture poll | Main | Stop! Grammar Time! »

November 22, 2004

Best Christmas movie of the last decade?

Has to be Elf.

Feel free to disagree if you have a desire to be wrong.

Posted by Dan at November 22, 2004 11:05 PM

Comments

It should be arriving from Netflix tomorrow, so perhaps I'll get back to you on whether or not I agree. Certainly, you have to enjoy Will Ferrel.

Frankly, I'm not recalling much of any great Christmas movies the last decade. Am I forgetting any good ones?

Posted by: Joel Caris at November 23, 2004 01:28 AM

I have yet to see a Will Ferrel movie I like. He's beyond sophmoric. Sophmoronic? That said, the DVD trailer for Elf looks pretty funny. I'm with Joel in that the pickings have been slim for the last few decades.

Posted by: Ralph at November 23, 2004 08:49 AM

I think Scrooged was over a decade ago. I really can't go for Santa Clause type nonsense. The Grinch with Jim Carrey didn't suck, but wasn't as big a deal as the reviewers made it out to be.

ELF was not typical Will Ferrel fare, though, Ralph. I really think with ELF he peaked. It will be his defining role in a way. An instant Classic. Not anywhere near, say, Old School, which is the predominant Ferrel-type role.

If you haven't seen ELF and you like Christmas flicks, I say you suspend judgement on the other Ferrel roles and spend the 3 bucks to rent it.

Then the 15 to own it.

Posted by: Big Dan at November 23, 2004 09:24 AM

I liked the Santa Clause movies. Tim Allen is Detroit guy so that's probably why. Scrooged was pretty good as was the Grinch. They pale in comparison to the classics like "Miracle", "It's a Wonderful Life" and the original "Christmas Carol".

Posted by: Ralph at November 23, 2004 12:05 PM

Well, if we're talking all-time, I'm going with "Meet Me in St. Louis" and possibly "A Muppet Christmas Carol".

Posted by: Big Dan at November 23, 2004 10:24 PM

Funny you should mention Elf. We just finished watching it last night and were...underwhelmed. Especially the latter half of the movie.

My personal favorites? Scrooged is vastly under-rated and is worth watching more than once. My favorite scene is the one with the street corner musicians, including Larry Carlton, David Sanborn, Paul Shaffer, and...Miles Davis!

Does It's a Wonderful Life qualify as a Christmas movie?

And of course, who could resist Bad Santa?

Posted by: Ara Rubyan at November 24, 2004 12:30 PM

Oh, and my favorite Christmas carol is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas.

Posted by: Ara Rubyan at November 24, 2004 12:31 PM

Oh hell, I forgot about Bad Santa. Which is ridiculous, since I just bought it recently. That movies is awesome. I'd take that over Elf. But then, I am kind of twisted.

Posted by: Joel Caris at November 24, 2004 03:22 PM