« I'm all popular and stuff. | Main | This just in from Popping Culture's Misleading Web Address Desk »

January 06, 2005

Eye Candy

Wyeth.jpg

Christina's World
by Andrew Wyeth

No long description this time. No paragraphs of text relating Wyeth's contribution to the art world, as per usual.

I'm leaving it at "this is one of two creative pieces that haunt me from my childhood." I still think about Christina sometimes. I think there was a print of this in my bedroom. What does SHE see, looking across that field? This one haunts my imagination. Sometimes I feel so sad for her and I have no idea why. I still get shivers. I have shivers right now.

The other haunting piece is the poem "The Highwayman" by Alfred Noyes. Imagine you are a six year old and your mother read you this BEFORE BED:

The wind was a torrent of darkness among the gusty trees,
The moon was a ghostly galleon tossed upon cloudy seas,
The road was a ribbon of moonlight over the purple moor,
And the highwayman came riding—
Riding—riding—
The highwayman came riding, up to the old inn-door.

Good sweet Lord, I still want to hide under the covers right now. "The moon was a ghostly galleon" and the highwayman doesn't come riding, he comes "riding... riding... riding..."

Woo.

Here's the whole thing if you're up to it... read it with the lights out and your imagination on.

Posted by Dan at January 6, 2005 10:38 PM

Comments

Wow, that image is incredible. I want a print of this. I've never seen that before and it's just amazing.

Posted by: Joel Caris at January 7, 2005 02:57 AM

Joel,

I think the copy you see here has an inch or so shaved off the right. There's nothing else really to see, just more flat land and horizon, but it might add a wee bit to the overall effect.

I suggest you look into it. Just be aware that it will crop up in your mind at random times.

Posted by: Big Dan at January 7, 2005 08:50 AM

Joel,

I also think the poem is right up your disturbing photo-loving alley.

Posted by: Big Dan at January 7, 2005 10:12 PM

Wyeth is one of my favorite artists. His painful attention to detail, every blade of grass, every wrinkle in her dress...is amazing. This painting is always somewhere, floating in my head. There are speculations that Christina was wheelchair bound & could not walk, but that has never been proven. The sad loveliness stays with you.

Posted by: Dana at January 10, 2005 12:09 PM

WOw! The Highwayman! A neighbor friend and I memorized the whole poem when we were preteens. I think I can still say it!
Pam

Posted by: Pam Klotzbach at January 10, 2005 04:13 PM

I meant to read that poem, Dan, but completely forgot about it until today when I was referencing this post. So I went back and read it and damn if that isn't a fine, twisted poem. I quite enjoyed it.

Six years old and your mother read you that before bed? So that's what happened to you.

Posted by: Joel Caris at January 23, 2005 11:48 PM