« Write your own headline here. | Main | Yet another evil midget movie. »

January 05, 2005

Hypocrites, the lot of you!

Here's one of many links to the news story in which movie star Sandra Bullock made her million-dollar donation to help Tsunami victims. You may remember that Bullock also gave a mil after 9/11.

Here's what burns me up: Everywhere in bloggyland that I read about this story, some idiot says "Big deal, she's rich enough" or "One million dollars didn't make a dent in her budget."

I would really, really like to shake these people. Hard.

What did YOU give?

Let's think about this. Pretend that in the best year of her life, maybe the year after Speed came out, Bullock made $100 million. So a million bucks is 1/100th of her income.

Am I supposed to believe that any of those jerks criticizing her VERY generous gift gave so much more of their income that they find her donation meaningless? If you make $50,000 in a year, did you give $500 to Tsunami victims? If you make $15,000 in a year, did you give $150? Did you give ANYTHING, or were you just too busy criticizing folks who did give money to a worthy cause, money they had earned by working hard for it instead of whining all day about an unfair system?

Bullock isn't nearly my favorite actress. Not even in the top ten. I don't feel the need to defend her. I'm just saying: it isn't the critic who counts. Do SOMETHING, then maybe one day you'll earn the right to criticize the efforts of others.

Whew.

That felt good.

I'm turning off the "RANT" button in my head now. You may proceed safely.

***UPDATE: Triticale has accurately pointed out that wealth is not linear. That is to say, even if Bullock gave 50 percent of her income, she'd still have a LOT of money left. The same is not true of those who make much less, even if the percentages remain the same. This is a fair argument against the flat tax, but that's not the heart of my argument here. If my math above offends you, rework the numbers to more accurately reflect the incomes of the above-mentioned idiots, then ask the question again. I suspect they remain idiots.***

people_04.jpg

Posted by Dan at January 5, 2005 10:20 AM

Comments

Amen.

Posted by: Ara Rubyan at January 5, 2005 10:53 AM

Wealth is non-linear.

Posted by: triticale at January 5, 2005 12:11 PM

It's great that she's giving so much for this aid, but there's a falacy in your logic that is often used by those proposing a flat tax. Even if she were to give 50% of her salary, she would still have an enormous amount of money left over. If someone making $50,000 gave 50% of their salary, they'd probably lose their home or have their power cut off or something.

As triticale says, wealth is non-linear.

N.B - this is not a criticism of Bullock's donation. When I hear that people like Robin Williams and Jack Nicholson tip 100% in restaurants, it impresses me immensely.

Posted by: double-plus-ungood at January 5, 2005 01:20 PM

Holy crap, people are actually criticizing her for giving a million dollars? That's freaking bizarre. How cynical do you have to be?

I'll help you shake 'em, Dan.

Posted by: Joel Caris at January 5, 2005 01:58 PM

Triticale,

As Double said, I'm not campaigning for the flat tax. Feel free to adjust the percentages to your liking and then ask the question again to the aforementioned idiots.

I suspect the results will remain the same.

Posted by: Big Dan at January 5, 2005 02:29 PM

I am no particular Sandra Bullock fan (of her acting anyway - although I think I am a big fan of her character and generosity), but this whole discussion, and all others I have seen, seriously understate the magnitude of what she did.

It is true that wealth is not linear, and she's not going to go hungry in any case, but she hasn't made anything like $100 million, now or ever.

Her donations were more like if you made $50K a year and you gave $15K - not $1K - to tsunami victims. Who among us has done that besides her?

Posted by: CW at January 9, 2005 10:46 PM

That is essentially the same argument used by many to say the US is "stingy". I'd say a million dollars goes a heck of a long way. And I'm pretty sure it made a dent.

Posted by: dorkafork at January 10, 2005 01:22 AM