« Today's very symbolic picture. | Main | 60 years ago today. »

January 27, 2005

I find this terribly interesting.

Our 90 percent friend, 10 percent bitter enemy Ara Rubyan posted a link to this post from MSNBC, which gives thumbnail sketches of some of the more important candidates in the upcoming Iraqi elections.

Sounds funny to say that: "upcoming Iraqi elections."

Still, one guy is a direct descendent of Mohammed his own self and is also a descendent of the old king (who was, of course, killed - this is still Iraq we're talking about), another is the guy who the U.S. appointed as interim P.M. (which pretty much rules him out), another is a nuclear physicist who refused to help Saddam build a nuclear bomb (so at least he WANTED one), and there is the requisite sprinkling of Sunnis, Kurds and Shiites, oh my.

Very interesting. I think this election has the same chance of coming off in a fair and orderly manner that I have of finding out lollipops cure cancer.

Posted by Dan at January 27, 2005 09:19 AM

Comments

Ah yes...the Iraqi elections. My Marine nephew Mike (HuWaH!) leaves today for a 24 hour journey to beautiful, sunny Camp Fallujah (forgive the spelling) to monitor the election on Sunday and then provide Convoy force protection and Gate protection. Yes, those duties make the news a lot these days. Remember him in your prayers please.

Posted by: Doug at January 27, 2005 09:36 AM

Doug,

We'll definitely add him to our prayers! For one can never have too many prayers...

Sister-in-law of a Marine in Iraq,
Cam

PS: To read about my b-i-l read Dan's last reason to live!

Posted by: Cam at January 27, 2005 09:46 AM

Doug: Get back to work.

Posted by: ED at January 27, 2005 10:37 AM

Still, we might be surprised.

That said, if I'm an Iraqi, I'm staying away from any polling place that has, like, you know, more than a couple of people waiting in line.

P.S. 10%??

Posted by: Ara at January 27, 2005 10:38 AM

Based on the night terrors and dart board with Ara's picture on it, I'd say 20% at least.

Posted by: Mrs. Popping Culture at January 27, 2005 10:51 PM