« Crimeny | Main | Video Game Overdose »

January 11, 2005

Popping Cancer Update

Not much of an update this morning, but since it has been a while, I thought I better throw you groupies a bone.

Biopsy tomorrow in the morning at Cleveland Clinic. Trying to write the whole sermon all at once on Thursday. Travel to sister-in-law's wedding Friday. Wedding Saturday. Presumably, by then, we'll have biopsy results and chemotherapy will start next week.

We know the initial lump was a sarcoma, but the biopsy will be on one of the new sites that has popped up in my chest, to determine the exact nature of the tumors, since types of chemotherapy drugs may be changed based on the results.

It frustrates me to sit around for another week (if you call surgery and traveling to Maryland for a wedding "sitting around"), but at least I have my new obnoxious diet to keep me busy. Later today, I'll be showing off my new diet, along with all the supplements that I've started taking.

I never guessed supplements would be so expensive. One of them cost $190 for a three-month supply. Still, my thinking is, I don't know if these things will help. I do know that they WON'T hurt and MAY OR MAY NOT help. So if I take them, I might get well and they won't hurt me, just my checkbook.

Still, I draw the line. If Aunt Mary has her favorite syrup made of tar and dirt that she claims cures halitosis, I can pass. But if a real, live, natural supplement claims to help cancer patients and there are some stats to back it up, it's worth the cost. I was just gonna spend that money on video games and theology books anyway.

Speaking of books in general, being an obsessive-compulsive book freak has finally paid off. My "to be read" shelf has over 100 books on it now, mostly books I got from Barnes and Noble, telling myself one day I'd have time for them. Well, I have some time now, presuming I keep breathing. First up from the shelf is a re-read of The Living of These Days, which is Fosdick's brilliant autobiography.

Posted by Dan at January 11, 2005 09:39 AM

Comments

Fearless Fosdick?

Posted by: Ara Rubyan at January 11, 2005 10:07 AM

That would actually be Harry Emerson Fosdick, one of the greatest preachers ever.

And quite the liberal!

Posted by: Big Dan at January 11, 2005 10:15 AM

You think you're an "obsessive-compulsive" book buyer, eh? I've only read about half of my 1,200 books. :D Half-Price Books is indeed a plague on my checkbook. And Joel's nearly as bad as I am. You're in good comany on that front.

Posted by: Nathan at January 11, 2005 01:10 PM

Heh. I knew Nathan would have something to say about that. I think I have around 400 or so books and must have at least 300 that aren't read. But I definitely can't match up with Nathan.

Half-Price Books is a plague, though. When I went up to Seattle to visit Nathan, I literally spent about $100 at three different Half-Price Books within two days. The place is absolute heaven. As much as I love Powell's--and oh, is it nice having easy access to a multi-story, full city block sized used book store--Half Price Books is better.

Posted by: Joel Caris at January 11, 2005 04:00 PM

Oh, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I was just referring to the overflowing shelf of "to be read" books.

I didn't include the several bookcases of theology books or bookcase and a half of "other."

This is reason #4,521 why I have to live: Mrs. Popping Culture could never deal with getting rid of all the books without a U-Haul or somesuch. Moving my theology books to the church from home took several pick-up truck loads, as I remember.

The point? All three of us are geeks.

Posted by: Big Dan at January 11, 2005 04:58 PM