« Too bad I just found out about these folks. | Main | Reason to live #4,612 »

January 26, 2005

I met with my heart doctor today.

I told him we were starting chemotherapy without adriamycin, the drug that hurt my heart last time.

Since my spiritual gift is the ability to see the absolute worst possibilities in every situation, we got to talking about what we could do if I don't respond to chemotherapy.

He said he would be willing to meet with me more regularly to monitor my heart if I decided down the line to do chemo with adriamycin.

I told him that I have been a chaplain, pastor and cancer patient for many years. I've seen more than my share of folks die in all sorts of unpleasant ways.

If it comes to it, I'd rather die of heart failure than cancer.

Plan A is for this plainer chemotherapy to work. AND I'm due some good news, so that's what I'm counting on.

But still, my choice would be painful and fast over painful and slow any day. I'd much rather my wife remember me in my right mind, too - such as THAT is.

Morbid enough for you yet?

Posted by Dan at January 26, 2005 02:59 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Popping Cancer Update: the kind of discussion that could only take place in my life.:

» Bench Craft Company advertising agencies alpharetta ga from Bench Craft Company advertising agencies alpharetta ga
Popping Culture: Cancer Archives [Read More]

Tracked on April 27, 2013 10:48 AM

Comments

Now you're thinking outside the box! But do try and stick with Plan A. I was also thinking that it is a good thing your married. I imagine this cancer/heart condition combination has got to really hurt the chances of a single guy from scoring with the chicks. By the way, we could always run a Circle Eight on this cancer. Just something to think about. Yeah.

Posted by: Jim at January 26, 2005 09:37 PM

Hmmm.. I had forgotten about the circle 8. Better try the chemo first, yes?

Posted by: Big Dan at January 26, 2005 10:04 PM

Only try chemo first if you want to be in bed with the drug companies like the doctors. My new doctor, Rickey Williams, N.O.M.I.A.M.I., thinks cartoons can have an impact on cancer. I'm going to study more of his teachings. I'll get back to you.

Posted by: Jim at January 27, 2005 07:50 AM

But Dan, ask the Doctor which treatment gets you on the golf course faster. Let's not lose site of the prize........the CUP!

Posted by: Doug at January 27, 2005 09:42 AM

Doug: Beating a guy with cancer will only get you NOTHING! I will focus all of my rage that is held for folks in call centers in PA and win the CUP back!!! Besides, the three of us will make you put an asterisk on the ball even if you do win! Just like this * Put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Posted by: Jim at January 27, 2005 11:23 AM

There are no "gimmies" when it comes to CUP play. So, I figure with one guy with cancer, one going through divorce, and the other spending all his energy on call centers, I've got to put the Prize up ASAP! Strike while the irons hot!

Posted by: Doug at January 27, 2005 12:58 PM