« From Popping Culture's Childrearing Desk | Main | Reason to Live # 204 »

March 04, 2005

Ok, Mr. or Mrs. Wizard, here's your chance to shine.

I'm taking some antibiotics now and one of the warnings on the bottle is "Do not lie down within half an hour of taking this medication."

Mrs. Popping Culture and I have a theory on why this could be (it was her idea and it sounds as smart as anything I could come up with).

So I put it to you: why would a medication have such a warning label?

Discuss.

Posted by Dan at March 4, 2005 11:29 PM

Comments

Idea number one:
I'm thinking something to do with circulation... it could be that the individual molecules of this stuff are (denser/heavier/?) than other antibiotics and in order for it to not 'pool' (some folks have circulatory issues when they lie down, I know if I sleep soundly I always wake up with a limb or two having taken its own nap)you should be up and moving until it's absorbed and has had a chance to curculate.
Which one would think takes longer than 30 minutes, huh?

Idea number two:
Maybe something in the drug causes the stomach to be upset and they worry about you dying a rock star death if you're a sound sleeper.

Idea number three:
I have no idea. Any medicine administered by something besides a dart gun is a mystery to me.

Posted by: Kimm at March 5, 2005 11:38 AM

Kimm,

Our idea was something having to do with acid reflux/heartburn.

Posted by: Dan at March 5, 2005 04:41 PM

I'm guessing Mrs. P. C. does not administer this medication with a dart gun.
I think I'd go with her guess, but if she wants to borrow my dart gun...

Posted by: Kimm at March 5, 2005 06:19 PM

Dan,

I was on an antibiotic that had the same warning just 3 weeks ago and I asked the pharmicist. What she told me was that they did not want the capsule disolving in the esophogaus (sp?) so I had to take it with 16 oz of water and stay upright for at least 1/2 hour after taking it.

Posted by: Carla at March 7, 2005 07:57 AM

I have an idea, but it kind of goes along the lines of a mass conspiracy theory that I'm working on, so I can't share it with you yet!

Posted by: Doug at March 7, 2005 11:06 AM

Carla,

That makes sense. They should just say so in the warning instead of being all cryptic and spooky.

Posted by: Dan at March 7, 2005 02:54 PM