« Forget the serial soccer moms: THIS guy is the lowest punk EVER. | Main | On to a new video game! »

March 03, 2005

Snapshots

Random images from my life:

-I ate out tonight. We went to my favorite Mexican restaurant for enchiladas and I'm sure I'll pay for it. Still, it was the first time in a LONG time that I've left the house for someplace other than the doctor's office. It felt good to be OUT in public, although at one point I had a sort of partial anxiety attack (hey, if you had been in the same chair in the same quiet room in your own quiet house for months, then dropped in a Mexican restaurant, you'd pause, too).

-I have been having a recurring dream that the high doses of chemotherapy aren't doing anything to stop the tumors. That they are just too advanced and aggressive. It's an unsettling dream, and what's worse, it could be accurate. We'll find out in a week.

-Found out today that the disability came through. I should get a letter inside a week.

-John Chaney should be fired.

-I owe a LOT of money in my name only to student loan companies. If I die, are they gonna come after Mrs. Popping Culture? For some reason, that question has bubbled up a couple times since I had to take a leave of absence from school.

Posted by Dan at March 3, 2005 07:45 PM

Comments

Were you and the Missus married already when you incurred the loans? That could make a difference in the answer.

P.S. John Chaney? I missed something along the way, I guess...

Posted by: Ara at March 3, 2005 08:17 PM

How'd you manage to get disability so fast? I started filing in November and I'm still getting, 'be patient, it's a long process'.

And the dream is just that. All your anxieties slip through into your sleep. I keep having that stupid killer zombie dream... yeech!

Posted by: Kimm at March 3, 2005 09:23 PM

John Chaney is the coach of the Temple Owls basketball team. He sent one of his players in to commit rough fouls and the kid he sent in (Chaney referred to his own kid here as a "thug") broke the arm of a senior on the other team, ending his career.

Posted by: Dan at March 3, 2005 10:15 PM

Kimm,

I got it through the Ministers and Missionaries Board via the American Baptists. They are quick if you are a pastor, and you're this close to death's door.

Posted by: Dan at March 3, 2005 10:16 PM

Let's get the John Chaney incident in perspective and let's not clean up the language either.

First, John Chaney called his own player a "GOON", twice in the same press conference!

Second, Chaney assigned himself a suspension! Himself?! Let's try this in the REAL world...."sorry sir, but you have been found guilty of (fill in the blank)." "Thank you, your Honor, and I believe I will take the slap on the wrist and no desserts for a month."

Temple U is scared of him! So am I for that matter, he looks frightening with those dark circles around his eyes.

Posted by: Doug at March 3, 2005 11:22 PM

But hey, those circles around Chaney's eyes ensure that no coach looks more like his team's mascot than he does.

Posted by: Nathan at March 4, 2005 03:00 AM

I didn't have that dream again last night. Maybe writing it down helped.

Posted by: Dan at March 4, 2005 07:49 AM

You should talk to a local lawyer who knows estate and property law. Generally, if you own an asset jointly with your wife (like the house or a bank account) it should automatically belong to the survivor and should not form part of the estate of the deceased. Those assets you have in your own name will form part of your estate and that is what your creditors will go after. However, creditors are not shy about trying to intimidate money out of people, even if it is not rightfully theirs, so if they can do it, they might guilt your wife into agreeing to pay something on the loans. She should be coached on how to avoid this. You might also want to consider a little "estate planning" in any event. My husband and I have arranged everything we have so it all goes to the survivor. Whoever dies first will have NO estate. The house is joint, the bank accounts are joint and insurance and RRSPs have designated beneficiaries. When the second one of us goes, there will be an estate but with no kids, we don't care if taxes and debts have to be paid at that point.
Good luck to you.

(PS I'm Canadian so your laws may be different. But probably not much.)

Posted by: Julia at March 4, 2005 08:52 AM

Popping Culture site good. Me learn things! thanks Julia.

Posted by: Doug at March 4, 2005 02:21 PM