« As if we needed more proof that the Apocalypse is getting closer. | Main | This is pretty sweet. We should institute this where I live, except we'd have to give out a few hundred titles. »

April 09, 2005

• You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?

I want to say the Bible, but I probably could remember enough of it to make a reasonable facsimile later. I’m going with The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho by a nose over Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

• Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

I was madly and tragically in love with Connie Selleca’s character in “The Greatest American Hero.” I was hopeless.

• The last book you bought is?

How to Live Between Office Visits by Bernie Seigel. Before that, an inordinate number of theology books.

• What are you currently reading?

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.

• Five books you would take to a deserted island?

1. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe. This is one of two life-changing books I read at least annually.
2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. This is the other.
3. Parables as Subversive Speech by William Herzog. Because this is the book that started my re-thinking of Jesus’ mission.
4. The Complete Works of William Shakespeare. Because I would wither and die without it.
5. One of my writing craft books, preferably one with writing exercises. To keep myself sharp while away from opportunities to write.

• Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

I’m not passing it on to specific people because I’m lazy. But I fully expect my readership to chime in with their answers.

Posted by Dan at April 9, 2005 01:11 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ara sent me these six literary questions and said I had to answer. Since I am nothing if not compliant, here you go...:

» reliable windows vps from reliable windows vps
Popping Culture: Creative Writing Archives [Read More]

Tracked on April 29, 2013 04:37 AM

» oil change coupons wichita from oil change coupons wichita
Popping Culture: Creative Writing Archives [Read More]

Tracked on April 30, 2013 03:07 PM

» click through the up coming document from click through the up coming document
Popping Culture: Creative Writing Archives [Read More]

Tracked on May 1, 2013 05:43 PM

» earn money uploading videos from earn money uploading videos
Popping Culture: Creative Writing Archives [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 12:14 AM

» no deposit bonus from no deposit bonus
Popping Culture: Creative Writing Archives [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 09:47 AM

Comments

I'm all for not whacking baby seals, rescuing the dolphins, keeping American beautiful, not polluting, reducing smog, and never using aresol hairspray agian, ever. I'm all for beiing as PC as humanly possible. But really, I've been eatiing cookies my whole life. Are there no parents around these kids to feed them actual meals? Who the hell is afraid that children will forgo veggies for chocolate chips? Then these parents need to have a chat with the kids.

And another thing.....he's the Cookie Monster, not the Carrot Monster.

Posted by: Alex at April 9, 2005 01:27 PM

• You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?
    Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut—Might as well keep myself entertained as well.
  • Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
    I don't recall having one, but I remember thinking the females on the covers of the fantasy/sci-fi books I used to read would be hot in real life.
  • The last book you bought is?
    Two: Sincerity and Authenticity by Lionel Trilling and How to Suppress Women's writing by Joanna Russ. I know what you're thinking—"Literary theory? What a dork." Yes, indeed I am.
  • What are you currently reading?
    The Education of Henry Adams by Henry Adams
    The Wings of the Dove by Henry James
    Will in the World: How Shakespeare became Shakespeare by Henry Greenblatt
    Dubliners by James Joyce
    The Things They Carried by Tim O'Brien
  • Five books you would take to a deserted island?
    1. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut—The most entertaining book I've read
    2. number9dream by David Mitchell—Another highly entertaining book of literary merit
    3. William Shakespeare—The Complete Works—Sorry to rip ya off, Dan, but...
    4. Biographia Literaria by Samuel Taylor Coleridge—If only all autobiographies were this entertaining and informative.
    5. The Norton Anthology of Theory and Criticism&mash;I haven't had time to read nearly enough of this as I'd like. This would be the one to keep my mind occupied until then end of eternity.

Posted by: Nathan at April 9, 2005 04:35 PM

It's not a rip-off to share my excellent taste.

Wink wink nudge nudge.

Posted by: Dan at April 9, 2005 06:01 PM

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?
The Stand by Stephen King. My all time favorite read.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Ender and Bean from the Ender series LOVE the both of them. I admit the Vampire Lestat can make me wobbly in the knees, which is amazing considering the prose I had to wade through to get to know him.

The last book you bought is?
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks.

What are you currently reading?
Shadow of the Giant by Orson Scott Card.
Obliviously on he Sails by Calvin Trillin.

Five books you would take to a deserted island?
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King. (Yeah it's eight books, but since it's a series it only counts as one, right?)
The Stand by Stephen King.
Watchmen by Alan Moore with Dave Gibbons.
The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks (If there's any place you're likely to encounter zombies, it'd be that deserted island.)
The Ender Series by Orson Scott Card. (Cheating again because the series is up to nine and I bet there are more coming, but SUCH a good read!)

Posted by: Kimm at April 9, 2005 06:06 PM

- You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?
The Bible.

- Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Thousands.

- The last book you bought is?
Something for one of my kids. I don't remember the titles.

- What are you currently reading?
Ulysess. hehe. I'm not getting past page 100.

- Five books you would take to a deserted island?
Five books on how to survive in the wilderness. I may be an idiot but I'm not that stupid.

Posted by: Ralph at April 9, 2005 08:54 PM

1. To Reign In Hell by Steven Brust. An excellent parable on human nature and relationships of all kinds.

2. Jessica Alba as in . But, strictly book-related, the Midnight Sister in Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

3. Endless Nights by Neil Gaiman.

4. Just finished the Dark Tower series, and awaiting Harry Potter 6.

5. Shakespeare (Duh), Collected Works of E.A. Poe, The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman and artists, To Reign In Hell by Steven Brust, and a blank book to write in.

Posted by: Larime at April 10, 2005 01:07 AM

Hi Dan,
This is Rachel, who during breaks in Ethics class last Spring faithfully and patiently (albeit unsuccessfully) struggled to help you face sad truths about politics, the Iraq War and the mainstream media ;-) I’ve been lurking for a while in your blog to stay up to date on your health and enjoy your wonderful posts. You and your wife have been ever-present in my prayers.

Anyway I couldn’t help responding to this post.

Save only one book?
The Bible

Crush on a fictional character?
Wonder Woman, Lara Croft

Most recently bought?
Hannah Arendt’s lectures on Kant’s Political Philosophy

Currently reading?
The Intertexture of Apocalyptic Discourse in the New Testament
(Hey, I’m a PhD student! And, anyway, I’m a geek! I’d be reading this stuff even if I weren’t a student!)

6 Books I’d take to a deserted island (you said 6, right?)

1. The Bible (with the Nag Hammadi and other extra-canonical writings)
2. A Collection of Poems by Hafiz edited by Daniel Ladinsky (who captures marvelously Hafiz’s mixture of wild mystical profundity and high hilarity)
3. I Ching
4. Original Blessing by Matthew Fox (whose understanding of the beauty and goodness of creation enabled me to return to Christianity after a long hiatus)
5. Walking with the Wind: A Memoir of the Movement by John Lewis
6. A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings of Martin Luther King edited by James Washington

Posted by: Rachel at April 10, 2005 01:40 PM

Rachel,

I am pleased to hear from you. I remember enjoying our conversations a great deal. Ethics class always sparked the best discussions.

I thought you'd be in jail by now on a civil disobedience charge! Are you behind schedule or just doing doctoral work?

Posted by: Dan at April 10, 2005 05:05 PM

I enjoyed our conversations too. Am doing doctoral work in New Testament and Empire (Herzog-esque type stuff). In Canada, no less. So, for the moment, I'm free as a bird :-)

Posted by: at April 10, 2005 06:05 PM

btw, I'm surprised you didn't laugh at me for taking inspiring books about social movements to my solitary confinement on a desert island. I guess obsessions don't have to make sense . . .

Posted by: Rachel at April 10, 2005 06:12 PM

Well, I thought I better play it cool since I said I would "wither and die" without Bill Shakespeare.

I would, too.

Posted by: Dan at April 10, 2005 10:40 PM

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?
I'm not quite so cultured as some of you (I've never read F. 451), but I would have to take the Bible.
Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?
Here we go: Red Sonja, Wonder Woman, Bionic Woman, and recently, Ms. Jolie as Lara Croft
The last book you bought is?
Doubling Your Sunday School in Two Years by Josh Hunt.
What are you currently reading?
The Doubling Your S.S. book just mentioned and a sorted collection of Architecture Registration Exam study guides (YAWN!)
Five books you would take to a deserted island?
1. Well, as a follow up two the previous, I'd have to take my "Structural Design" A.R.E. book, because it may take some time on a deserted island to comprehend most of it.
2. The Bible
3. Any of the "Far Side" collections by Gary Larson
4. Harvey Pennick's "Little Red Book"
5. "Full Court Press" by Rick Pitino, it makes me cry every time!

Posted by: Doug at April 11, 2005 09:13 AM

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be [saved]?

Pride and Prejudice...Dan, you have a good point about reconstructing the Bible from memory. I couldn't do it personally, but communally I'm sure the people of God could do it. Think of the opportunities for cooperation!

• Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Caspian in "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader." And Rob from "Get Fuzzy" - oh, and Hawkeye.

• The last book you bought is?
Have something on order from Amazon about U2, as well as Harry 6. But the most recent to arrive is Hannah Arendt's "Eichmann in Jerusalem: a Report on the Banality of Evil"

• What are you currently reading?
A bunch of books for Ethics and Ministry in the Margins, including "Lift Every Voice" by Thistlethwaite and "The Social Gospel Today" by Chris Evans. For fun, "Walk On: the Spiritual Journey of U2" and "U2 at the End of the World," plus there's a copy of Hafiz by my bed that I like to read some of at night, as well as Rumi and a couple of Mad magazines.

• Five books you would take to a deserted island?

okay, it's easy to cheat a little with this one, because there are volumes published with multiple books in them. Like,

1. The Complete Narnia, CS Lewis, could never choose one over the others unless it were "the Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"

and
2. "Jeeves, Jeeves, Jeeves" by PG Wodehouse - if I had to pick one I suppose it would be "The Code of the Woosters," but I'd hate to lose the short story with "a dashed great chunk of pips and mildew" flying toward the stage from a disgruntled member of the audience

3. The Bible, which is also a compilation of many books, and if I had to pick one it would be the Psalms

4. "The Gift" by Hafiz - and a pen for adding my own (which no one would have to see because I'd be on a desert island, right?)

5. A complete guide to the flora and fauna of desert islands