« Sunday ponderable. | Main | Eye Candy »

April 24, 2005

In which the author reveals certain horrors about his taste in music.

Loggins and Messina are touring again after nearly 30 years apart, and I'm excited. I don't know if they'll come within striking distance of where I live or if I'll even be healthy enough to consider it, but in my world, Loggins and Messina re-uniting is a big deal.

Go ahead, let me have it. I am a proud Kenny Loggins fan. I LOVE Return to Pooh Corner and Conviction of the Heart. Together, they did Your Momma Don't Dance, which is one of those songs nobody lists as a favorite, but everybody knows.

So the truth is out. While we're here I should admit as well that I own four Enya CDs and my favorite musician of all time is James Taylor. James Taylor transcends other music in my mind and so I rarely list him in musical discussions. He's just above it - the consumate songwriter/storyteller.

Most folks you meet these days who know JT lump him in there with Kenny Loggins anyway, so I guess it's no great additional confession.

Yes, I am the oldest 36-year-old you ever met. Mrs. Popping Culture is barely out of her 20s and still listens to alternative music, which I in my dotage refer to as "alternative TO music." She likes Beck and U2 and Franz Ferdinand and Gwen Steffani. She's all cool and stuff, my wife. She has an MP3 player. I can usually work the CD machine if the PLAY button is clearly marked.

I remember being burned openly and publically while watching South Park one night and the South Park Planetarium, in an effort to make a joke at how boring the planetarium is, had a "Laser Kenny Loggins and Laser James Taylor" show to bore and horrify the kids.

Still, those are my two favorites and I can't change who I am. Be kind in comments.

Of course, I'm also a fan of Tori Amos and John Meyer (who, frankly, is JT in the 2000s) as well, but I doubt that can save me after this.

Posted by Dan at April 24, 2005 02:41 PM

Comments

Tori Amos balances it out, I think.

Posted by: Cobby at April 24, 2005 04:18 PM

Gotta say your mention of the Ditty Bops some months ago also helps counterbalance some shall we say boldly unhip tastes. (Not that I can even see hip from where I'm standing.)

Have you had occasion to listen to Jack Johnson? Might be up your alley... put JT in a bag with Hawaii and a measure of ecclecticism and shake vigorously.

Posted by: Pete at April 24, 2005 05:23 PM

I will certainly listen to Jack Johnson, then. And I have to admit the Ditty Bops were introduced to me by Mrs. Popping Culture. I do love their sound, especially their take on "Shimmy Like My Sister Kate."

Posted by: Dan at April 24, 2005 08:11 PM

Kenny Loggins, JT, Jonathan Edwards, John Denver all cool in my book! And i'm a proudly trendy urban gay man! Rock on Dan! Oh..and as an introduction...i discovered ur blog through Red who has been one of my soul mates since 1985.

Posted by: Mitchell at April 24, 2005 08:48 PM

I've got some Jack Johnson from Napster on my MP3 player, Honey. If you can figure it out, you're more than welcome to listen. Also . . . Stefani and Mayer.

Posted by: Mrs. Popping Culture at April 24, 2005 09:16 PM

Mitchell, I should also mention for the record that I enjoy Chris Isaak as well. I've read your comments on Sheila's blog and it's a pleasure to see you here!

It's nice to know I'm not alone in my musical tastes, anyway.

Posted by: Dan at April 25, 2005 05:15 AM

A few years ago a friend of mine was in the hospital for a long time, and I made her a tape of what I thought was "comfort music" to listen to while she was immobile...James Taylor, John Denver. Lots of Pete Seeger.

She never mentioned the tape after I gave it to her, and I had the feeling she was politely overlooking what she considered a gross musical faux pas.

(What was that other Loggins and Messina song..."Even though we ain't got money.." I like the Pooh Corner one, too)

BUT am also a U2 fanatic - but not because they're cool, because they love God and the mess of life. Forget cool.

Posted by: chava at April 25, 2005 08:53 AM

Dan, don't ever sweat your musical tastes. It's kind of funny what you find yourself drawn to. There have been phases for me...I actually PAID to go see Bon Jovi in 1986 during their "Slippery When Wet" tour, and then within a few months, was dancing to Heavy D and the Boyz. I'm not proud of it, but they were pretty hot groups at the time. Then, I participated in a Jimmy Buffet experience along with a few thousand "Parrotheads". But, as I developed my "taste", I found myself listening to "They Might Be Giants" and another familiar favorite, "Poi Dog Pondering". I'll never admit to owning Edie Brickell and New Bohemians, nor will I admit to my affection for Styx, Night Ranger or Boston. My ventures now take me to groups like Third Day, Switchfoot and Reliant K (Christian groups with an edge). But, I own JT's Greatest Hits, and I too have 4 Enya CD's. Also, if it sounds Irish or Scottish, bring it to me! I'm all over the place when it comes to music!

Posted by: Doug at April 25, 2005 08:58 AM