« This is the culture you live in: time for Saturday's dose of reality. | Main | No blogging for two hours. »

April 23, 2005

Popping Cancer Reflection

I borrow this from Norman Cousins, written in his Anatomy of an Illness:

"My first experience in coping with a bleak medical diagnosis came at the age of ten, when I was sent to a tuberculosis sanitarium. I was terribly frail and underweight, and it seemed logical to suppose I was in the grip of a serious malady. Later it was discovered that the doctors had mistakenly interpreted normal calcification as TB markings. X-rays at the time were not yet a totally reliable basis for complex diagnosis. In any case, I spent six months at the sanitarium.

"What was most interesting to me about that early experience was that patients divided themselves into two groups: those who were confident they would beat back the disease and be able to resume normal lives, and those who resigned themselves to a prolonged and even fatal illness. Those of us who held to the optimistic view became good friends, involved ourselves in creative activities, and had little to do with the patients who had resigned themselves to the worst. When newcomers arrived at the hospital, we did our best to recruit them before the bleak brigade went to work.

"I couldn't help being impressed with the fact that the boys in my group had a far higher percentage of 'discharged as cured' outcomes than the kids in the other group. Even at the age of ten, I was being philosophically conditioned; I became aware of the power of the mind in overcoming disease. The lessons I learned about hope at that time played an important part in my complete recovery and in the feelings I have had since about the preciousness of life."

Some days (like today, when the three-day trial of untouchable joint pain has begun) it's hard to keep away from the bleak brigade, but I'm trying. It's worth the effort, and a few days in bed with pain don't compare to a chart marked "discharged as cured."

Posted by Dan at April 23, 2005 12:54 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Popping Cancer Reflection:

» bed bugs symptoms from bed bugs symptoms
Popping Culture: Cancer Archives [Read More]

Tracked on April 27, 2013 08:55 PM

» espaceface.com from espaceface.com
Popping Culture: Cancer Archives [Read More]

Tracked on April 28, 2013 03:00 AM

» flyknit trainer nike from flyknit trainer nike
The new Zune browser is surprisingly good, but not as good as the iPod's. It works well, but isn't as fast as Safari, and has a clunkier interface. If you occasionally plan on using the web browser that's not an issue, but if you're planning to browse ... [Read More]

Tracked on April 28, 2013 05:19 PM

» Monster Earphones from Monster Earphones
Get Rid Off Air Jordan 11 Concord For Sale Issues Totally [Read More]

Tracked on April 29, 2013 07:45 AM

» longchamp sac pas cher from longchamp sac pas cher

Tracked on April 29, 2013 09:27 AM

» celine sac pas cher from celine sac pas cher
This is getting a bit more subjective, but I much prefer the Zune Marketplace. The interface is colorful, has more flair, and some cool features like 'Mixview' that let you quickly see related albums, songs, or other users related to what you're listen... [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 09:31 AM

» WlCmgzUx from WlCmgzUx
Popping Culture: Popping Cancer Reflection [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 10:32 AM

» miu miu from miu miu
Popping Culture: Popping Cancer Reflection [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 12:42 PM

» louis vuitton sacs from louis vuitton sacs
dqrmjslkhcc agckiy pdv1 wdlfoeayay bcgnblay [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 03:15 PM

» celine bags from celine bags
Popping Culture: Popping Cancer Reflection [Read More]

Tracked on May 2, 2013 03:23 PM

Comments

I suspect this applies to things outside physical illness as well.

Posted by: Ralph at April 25, 2005 08:39 AM