« Speaking of Mexican food. | Main | It's always something. »

April 29, 2005

So much for the happy weekend.

Prayer vigils starting now.

Mrs. Popping Culture took Elwood the cat back to the vet. He has liver damage. They are keeping him over the weekend to see if they can do anything for him.

Mrs. Popping Culture didn't tell me too much but she was sad. She brought Elwood back home so I could see him before returning him to the veterinarian's office.

I guess there's no good time for something like this, but I have to point out that certain irony. After all, we are waiting on tests to see if I'm going to live or die.

The veterinarian said it might cost about $300 - $400, which of course we don't have, but you have to try. If cancer has taught me anything, it's that you have to try. You don't give up on anything. Let cancer or liver damage take things from you if they are going to, but you don't give up no matter what it costs and no matter if you end up eating ravioli from a can. The last several months have locked me in a "don't give an inch" mentality, so I'd probably find a way even if it cost $4,000.

Anyway, I just got the news. Elwood just left the house to go back. I'm not sure whether I'm going to cry or start breaking things. Suddenly Mexican food isn't as high of a priority.

Elwood is a good cat.

Posted by Dan at April 29, 2005 04:00 PM

Comments

Oh, Dan. I'm so sad.

Kinky Friedman wrote once that, after you die and go to heaven, all the pets you ever had would be there waiting to greet you when you arrived. I believe it and it gives me hope.

P.S. I like Ravioli from a can. IJS.

Posted by: Ara at April 29, 2005 04:13 PM

Oh, Dan-- my heart goes out to you and Mrs. Popping Culture. Elwood IS a good cat: he's obviously brought you both lots of happiness (and vice versa)-- a very worthwhile life. And having gone through a couple thousand $$ we could ill afford for a dog with cancer several years ago, I agree-- you have to try, canned ravioli (bleah) and all. Elwood will be in my prayers too this weekend. Meanwhile, it's WORTH a good cry, and also breaking some things. So go ahead, my friend; just don't break the computer!

Posted by: Gail at April 29, 2005 04:46 PM

Speechless but not prayerless..

Posted by: Cam at April 29, 2005 05:20 PM

I've lost a couple of really good cats in the past few years and it really sucks. I am so sorry. I'm thinking of you guys.

Posted by: Bonnie at April 30, 2005 08:27 AM

I'm thinking of renaming my dog "Timex". We thought she was going to die last August and about every month since then, something else has come up. But she's still ticking. I hope you get a little bonus time with Elwood. Every day is a gift.

Posted by: Julia at April 30, 2005 12:15 PM