« Let me tell you why I'm re-posting this picture. | Main | Baby Bob TALKING E-Postcards! »

April 20, 2005

What kind of American English do you speak?

Find out here. I was interested in this because my formative years were spent at the top of a mountain in upstate NY, my teens and early twenties in Hampton Roads, Virginia, then a stint in Louisville and now in Youngstown, OH. My results:

Your Linguistic Profile:
55% General American English
25% Yankee
15% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

UPDATE: While there, I also took their "How Long Will You Live?" test. Turns out, I'm good to 82 years old! Suck on that, cancer! Of course, I had to leave the "Do you have a series of aggressive, metastisized tumors growing in and near your lungs right now, on which no form of treatment has made a decent impact?" question blank.

Posted by Dan at April 20, 2005 10:45 PM

Comments

I'm
60% General American English
20% Dixie
20% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

I did not score as high on the Dixie side because I don't use a K,U, or two Ls when I pronounce the word school.

Posted by: Jim at April 20, 2005 11:54 PM

Jim-I am so embarrased for you. Here's mine, and I've lived in Ohio for five years!
60% General American English
25% Dixie
15% Yankee
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Posted by: Mrs. Popping Culture at April 21, 2005 12:01 AM

I'm 70% Yankee, and all the rest are minimal numbers. Pretty funny.

The question "what do you call a drinking fountain" was problematic. Because I am from Rhode Island, we call drinking fountains "bubblers". I think this is a regionalism specific to Rhode Island, although I have also heard that people who live in Wisconsin, randomly, also call them "bubblers". To be accurate, Rhode Islands call it "bubblahs". Wherever I am, if I hear someone say, "I'm gonna get a drink from the bubbler" ... I know that that person is either from RI or Wisconsin. Sadly, they did not have "bubbler" as a choice. If they did, I probably would have gotten 100% Yankee!

Posted by: red at April 21, 2005 07:13 AM

They only call them bubblers because of Rhode Island's historically bad plumbing.

Posted by: Dan at April 21, 2005 07:50 AM

I'm with Mrs. Popping Culture, Jim. I've been out of Virginia for a long time now, and was raised in NY, and I'm still only 5 percent behind you in Dixie.

What are you, educated or something?

Posted by: Dan at April 21, 2005 07:51 AM

Born in Kentucky, lower education in KY, higher education in Ohio (Cincinnati is still in Ohio you Cleveland folks), and moved to Virginia in my less formative years, so they say!

75% General American English
10% Dixie
10% Yankee
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern

I've seen another one of these that had a lot more questions with better options, like "bubblers" and the night before Halloween (cabbage night). I thought I would score higher on the Midwestern or Upper Midwestern.

Here's some others for you. What do you call the strip of grass between the sidewalk and the street? What about the area that separates a two-way traffic? How do you pronounce "house". How do you respond when you don't understand a question? In Cincinnati, and I believe it's only there, you would respond with "Please?" Weird stuff!

Posted by: Doug at April 21, 2005 08:32 AM

I'm 80% General American, 20% Yankee...and I've lived in Illinois and Wisconsin all of my life. Go figure...

red -- they are "bubblers" in parts of Wisconsin, too.

Doug -- 1. Apron, although the city I used to live in called it the "terrace." 2. Median, sometimes median strip 3. Hows, only more staccato 4. "I'm sorry?" or "Beg your pardon?"

Posted by: Stacie at April 21, 2005 11:13 AM

Stacie - I know! I mentioned the RI-Wisconsin connection in my comment, actually.

Weird! I grew up in RI, but then spent 5 or 6 years living in Chicago - and that is how I discovered that my regionalism also existed in the state next door.

Posted by: red at April 21, 2005 02:34 PM

(stacie scrolls back, notices that Red did indeed mention Wisconsin in the original comment, smacks self in head for lack of observational skills)

Posted by: Stacie at April 22, 2005 10:18 AM