« Another American Idol scandal? | Main | "I've already yielded more than a cheerleader at a drive-in." »

April 01, 2005

YOU can save Toby the Bunny!

savetoby.jpg

Here's how.

Thanks to John Schalekamp, who sent the link in email, and actully bought a mug.

Posted by Dan at April 1, 2005 10:29 AM

Comments

Wow, what a scam! I could do that for kittens I rescue. 'Build this account up to 50 grand or Fluffy, much as I love him, will become chicken lo mein and be served for dinner next Thursday.'

I know it's supposed to be amusing, but this really ticked me off for some reason. Reminded me of that famous preacher a few years ago who said God was gonna 'call him home' if he didn't raise X amount by X date.

Who do people like this think they are? Every day at work I find myself crying over a cat or kitten we put down for a minor health issue that could be cured with a week or two of antibiotics, but the shelter just does not have the space or the money to deal with it. Then this guy who actually did a good thing negates it with a sick ad like this one. You know what? Eat the bunny, you unmitigated jerk! But be sure to memorize just how far below your goal your final figure was. That's how much your love, loyalty and sense of decency is worth!

And yes I know I'm ranting about what is a very silly website which is probably based on an empty threat. I don't care, this kind of money grubbing makes me want to puke. Why not threaten a small child? Odds are you'll get even more money to save a kid than a rabbit.

Posted by: Kimm at April 1, 2005 11:05 AM

Kimm

You took the words right out of my mouth. I'm really hoping that the amount of money shown there is not real also.

Posted by: Carla at April 1, 2005 11:47 AM

I'm pretty sure it's a joke, but I do love it when folks get riled up. Especially in a relatively safe environment like the Internet.

I think we can file this under "S" for scam, but it is a cute idea to buy a commemorative mug.

Posted by: Dan at April 1, 2005 12:00 PM

Aw c'mon, check out the tasty recipes that he gave you for FREE! Who doesn't love a good feast of Hassenpfeffer. Do you remember the Bugs Bunny episode when the King wanted to eat Hassenpfeffer, but Bugs worked his way out of it, and the King had to settle for the same thing every day.....Variety!

Don't worry, he'll figure a way out of it, just like Bugs always did. Long live Toby!

Posted by: Doug at April 1, 2005 12:08 PM

I just like animals. I regard them as living things and I consider life sacred.

I remember when Mike and I were first living together we were renting a small house in upstate New York. We had a pet cat and almost no income (the start of a career is never easy). Once we found ourselves with three days until payday, no food in the house and five bucks to our name. I spent the money on food for the cat, figuring that Mike and I knew what was up but all the poor cat would know was that he was hungry and we weren't feeding him.
There must be something to the concept of karma, on our way home from buying the cat food we found an old vest lying by the road. In the pocket was 20 bucks, so we got to eat, too.

Posted by: Kimm at April 1, 2005 02:42 PM

What makes me sick is the way this man is trying to manipulate people into sending him money. Of course it's a scam. I really don't think Toby is going to be his summer feast. Someone has way too much time on their hands!

Posted by: Diane at June 2, 2005 12:55 PM