« Just in case you don't feel bad enough about yourself already. | Main | I'm tired; how about YOU caption this one? »

May 09, 2005

Cancer can make beautiful things stupid.

I guess if the first anniversary is the paper anniversary, and number 50 is the gold anniversary, then number nine is the intravenous poison anniversary.

That's right, friends, Wednesday will be the ninth anniversary of the day Mrs. Popping Culture agreed to be my wife. I intend to celebrate the occasion with nausea, cramping and a side effect to be named later.

Does it get any better than chemotherapy on your wedding anniversary? Maybe if I could be tortured on Christmas.

In all sincerity, this is another dangerous quality of cancer: if you let it, it can demoralize you not just by taking things away from you, but by twisting the things you get to keep.

Still and all, it has been the best nine years of my life. Nothing chemotherapy or even death can do about that. No matter what comes of all this cancer mess, I can look back knowing that in the end I was given more than I gave, I was loved more than I loved in return and I was the luckiest man on earth for at least nine years.

You can't beat that, even with cancer.

Posted by Dan at May 9, 2005 10:00 PM

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Cancer can make beautiful things stupid.:

» home teeth whitening kits from home teeth whitening kits
Popping Culture: May 2005 Archives [Read More]

Tracked on April 27, 2013 11:24 PM

Comments

Aw!

Posted by: Mrs. Popping Culture at May 9, 2005 10:39 PM

Uh, Dan, does that mean that last year when I celebrated my 9th with Mrs. Doug, that I still forgot something? You remember the date but you still leave something as forgotten. I can't win!Nobody even mentioned that #9 was the "intravenous poison anniversary".

Somebody should contact Hallmark. You might be on to something!

Posted by: doug at May 10, 2005 09:35 AM

Sorry, Doug, but before your 10th, one of you is gonna have to drink some Clorox or something to make up for it.

Posted by: Dan at May 10, 2005 11:05 AM

That note should make your wife very happy...no better gift than to read that.

Posted by: jo at May 10, 2005 12:11 PM

Happy Anniversary Danny and Steph! Try not to throw up too much- either one of you! :)

Posted by: Bonnie at May 11, 2005 11:54 AM