« Because This Is Just Creepy | Main | Anne Frank »

June 12, 2005

Snow Sharks

(Posted by Joel)

(Click for larger image)

Calvin and Hobbes was easily my favorite comic strip when it was in circulation. In fact, it's still my favorite all time comic to this day, though The Far Side is right up there, as well. But Calvin and Hobbes had a little something extra, on all levels. The drawing could be gorgeous, particularly in the Sunday editions and I loved the way that Bill Watterson took inspiration from the Utah landscapes. The writing was particularly wonderful, as well. Not just in the sense of the humor—though I did greatly appreciate Watterson's twisted sense of humor—but also in the way that the strip would at times touch on small bits of humanity. I remember the fascination that Calvin would have with the nighttime sky and the sheer vastness of space and how insignificant that could make him feel. That sense was a very human quality to the strip—something that really spoke to the reality of life, at least for me.

Needless to say, I was quite sad the day the last Calvin and Hobbes strip ran. The comic ended far too soon, and it seems particularly depressing that the strip, from what I understand, ended largely due to Watterson's concern with the blatant and widespread merchandising of his characters.

Anyway, you can always relive the comic by checking out the strips through the official site. Better yet, if you have about a hundred bucks to spare this September, you can pick up a three volume, hardbound set of every Calvin and Hobbes strip ever produced. A hundred dollars is steep, but I think it just may be worth it to reexperience Calvin's world.

Posted by Joel at June 12, 2005 03:43 AM

Comments

Are there any Bloom County or Opus fans in the house?

Posted by: Jim at June 13, 2005 12:21 AM

I've heard plenty about Bloom County, but I never did read it. I should check out some collections sometime, though, as it's supposed to be fantastic and a huge influence on the industry, so far as I've read.

Posted by: Joel Caris at June 13, 2005 02:16 AM

I loved Bloom County and Opus! I'm also a huge Calvin and Hobbes fan and the cartoon you posted has always been one of my favorites. I think Calvin was one of the great philosophers of our times!

Posted by: Carla at June 13, 2005 08:31 AM

ACCKK!

Bill the Cat for President! Funny how in this one blog, you captured my three all-time favorite cartoons.

Kudos!

Posted by: DOUG at June 14, 2005 12:10 PM

I too was a huge fan of Bloom County: it's really worth checking out those archives. Seems like every strip or TV series I love gets cancelled; I've never figured out what that says about my tastes! Currently, I get a Calvin & Hobbes episode via email each day- the current story is hysterical-- but must say that the one other email strip to which I subscribe is my top favorite these days: Get Fuzzy. It stars a sarcastic, mouthy Siamese cat named Bucky, an innocent & clueless dog named Satchel, and Rob, their longsuffering human...and it's a riot!

Posted by: Gail at June 17, 2005 09:43 AM

I rarely get around to reading the comics these days, but when I do I almost always enjoy Get Fuzzy. How could a person not love Bucky?

Posted by: Joel Caris at June 17, 2005 12:42 PM