« I have three words for you. | Main | I love this picture. »

July 19, 2005

Popping Cancer Update: It's what we thought it was, only different.

Turns out the spot in my right lung IS pneumonia after all. The test that came back negative from the five-day cultures was apparently for a really bad kind of pneumonia, and the nurse just told us it wasn't pneumonia at all.

So, to update: left lung still surrounded by fluid and unusable, pneumonia in the right lung still being treated by antibiotics, laying flat still untenable (I sleep at the computer desk with a pillow on top, slumped over - if my chest isn't upright I collapse in a coughing fit which frankly isn't very attractive). Oh, yeah, I also have cancer... gotta try and remember that little tidbit.

Posted by Dan at July 19, 2005 11:54 PM

Comments

Glad to here it's "only" pneumonia. Heh.

Re: sleeping arrangements --

During the filming of "The Wizard of Oz," Jack Haley (the Tinman) was in makeup for 16 hours a day, or some god-awful amount of time. Anyway, they rigged a plywood platform at a 45 degree angle and the dude would lean back and nap on it.

IJS.

Posted by: Ara at July 20, 2005 01:32 AM

I wondered about that. I just took a course in microbiology (fascinating) and I learned that different bacteria have to be cultured differently, and that viruses have to be cultured in living tissue. So I wondered how they could rule out pneumonia from a negative culture. So they've switched your antibiotics, maybe? Or you just have to wait for them to work? Or the germs are dead and your lung has to recover? I've had pneumonia and I remember the breathlessness and not being able to lie down. My mother told me I had "walking pneumonia" (because I wasn't hospitalized, I guess) and I told her, no, it was "crawling pneumonia". We had cable TV then and I was so sick and helpless that I watched movies on Lifetime. I watched a movie about bulimia, starring Meredith Baxter Burney and Ed Asner ... I watched it twice.

Posted by: Laura(southernxyl) at July 20, 2005 08:29 AM

No change in antibiotics. The full course of the pills they gave me ends Monday, when I see the pulmonologist again. I guess they'll tell me what's up then.

Posted by: Dan at July 20, 2005 09:39 AM

Will they be removing the fluid from your left lung?

Posted by: Brooks at July 20, 2005 09:50 AM

Every breath is precious. Hope you feel better soon, Dan.

Posted by: Bill B. at July 20, 2005 12:41 PM

Big fat blessings to you, my friend. DAMN that Cancer!!!!!!

Posted by: Alex at July 20, 2005 03:21 PM

Brooks, they will be removing the fluid from around my left lung, but it will require minor surgery, which the pulmonologist doesn't want to do until I've beaten the pneumonia.

Posted by: Dan at July 20, 2005 11:45 PM