« | Main | »

August 13, 2005

Services for Dan

Calling hours will be Monday from 5 pm to 8 pm at Lane Funeral Home in Austintown, Ohio. A service will be held in Dan's honor on Tuesday at 11 am at West Side Baptist Church in Youngstown, Ohio. There will also be calling hours before the service at 10 am.

During the service on Tuesday, there will be a time for people to share a memory of or reflection on Dan. After reading some of the previous entries on this weblog, I think I might have someone read some of them during this time. So feel free to post your thoughts and feelings about Dan. He obviously affected many people and I want his funeral to reflect this fact.

Posted by Dan at August 13, 2005 05:01 PM

Comments

Did Dan have a special charity that people could send memorial contributions to?

Posted by: Laura [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 13, 2005 09:25 PM

My web browser hasn't been refreshing this page automatically every time I visit, and so the updates of the last few days have just now been read for the first time.

I'll try to gather my thoughts to have something written this weekend for you to read at the service should you choose it. Right now I'm still stunned at everything I missed.

Larime

The Chairman of Iron Blog

Posted by: Larime [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 13, 2005 11:39 PM

Laura:
There wasn't a particular organization. If you choose to make a contribution to someone, I'm sure that if you chose one close to your heart, that would very appropriate.

Posted by: Mrs. Popping Culture [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 14, 2005 01:25 AM

Stephanie, I'm sorry.

I'm not entirely sure what to write. Let me add my name to those who can say Dan affected them. I may never have met him face to face, but he certainly impacted my life and I came to consider him a real friend.

I wish cancer had minded its own damn business.

Dan was smart, no doubt, and quick and funny, and obviously kind, and we agreed far more often than we disagreed--on politics, on life, on many different things. He liked Buffy and Angel, so he had good taste, without question. Not to mention he married you, Stephanie, and from everything I gather based on his writing, that was clearly a smart move.

He introduced me to Christina's World, and that was cool. He introduced me to a lot of art through this blog that I've come to appreciate.

Dan always seemed genuinely interested in what I wrote and what I thought, which is something that can be rare. I always believed he honestly cared about what I thought, and I always put a lot of stock into his opinion, as well. He encouraged me to write in my blog, and I always appreciated that.

Dan's writing helped to clarify my priorities, and helped to remind me not to dismiss other view points.

Dan also recommended, strongly, a book by the name of The Alchemist. I read it about a year ago, based on his writing about the book and the way it affected him, and I loved the book. It's a fantastic story. More important, though, is that it reminded me that I am a writer, and that I need to be writing. After reading The Alchemist, I decided that once I had finished the last few classes I needed for my AA, I would quit school rather than continuing on and take a real shot at making a living from my writing.

Right now, I'm halfway through writing a novel. I will finish it, and polish it, and edit it, and I'll send it out and see if maybe, just possibly, I can be a published writer. I'll see if my years old dream of making a living from writing will come to fruition. If not for having read The Alchemist, I have little doubt that I would not be in the middle of writing this book right now.

So I thank Dan for that.

I thank Dan for a lot--for plenty I haven't even written about here--and I wish he was still around. I have no doubt he's doing okay wherever he is, but it sucks for those left behind to no longer have his presence. I'll miss his wit, his wise words, and all those sick and twisted pictures he posted here on Popping Culture.

Stephanie--I can't imagine how hard this must be for you and I offer all the good thoughts I can--I wish you all the luck I can--and I pray that you'll find all the strength you'll need in the coming weeks, months, years. I wish I had something more to offer you than words.

I'm a better person for having known Dan, and I damn well don't say that lightly. He's a good man and I'll miss him.

Posted by: Joel Caris [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 14, 2005 05:53 AM

Stephanie,

Here's my submission for reading at the service. I was the Chairman of Iron Blog, in case my name is unfamiliar.

---------

As a Buddhist, it is my belief that Dan still is and always will be with us. There is a saying in Buddhism that, 'Life is suffering,' that life is where we learn lessons and strengthen our character, and suffering is the truest test of one's character.

I have known few people who faced life and suffering with as much dignity, grace and humor as Dan. He was many things to me in the year or two that I knew him. He was an example of what Christianity is at its best, he was a political sparring partner, he was a fellow fan of pop culture and he was a friend.

Dan has been a reminder to me and many others that just because we believe in different things does not mean we are not the same.

Many of you have lost far more than I, as our friendship was short and long distance in nature, but knowing how much his passing has impacted me gives me a glimpse of what it means to all of you - and if he has made me a better person in just that short time, I envy you who knew him best and wish you only happiness and the best of memories.

'Life is suffering,' they say, but our suffering is lightened by having known him, and in the knowledge that he is never really gone.

May I be even half as strong as he was in life, and half as dignified in suffering and death - then, I will have truly lived.

Larime Taylor
(Pronounced like Jeremy, but with an 'L')

Posted by: Larime [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 14, 2005 09:21 PM

Stephanie,

I'm not sure what to say and it's very difficult through my tears but I'll try.

Dan was one of those people that touched lives without ever knowing that he had. I know, because he touched mine and made a difference. He taught me that life was an incredible journey and one not to be wasted.

We were classmates at CRCDS for one semester and his impact on my life has been incalculable. In both the theology and supervised ministry class at CRCDS his insight and wisdom brought me closer to God and to my calling.

I will be a better Pastor for having known Dan. I am a better person for having known Dan.

Through his website I learned compassion and joy even through pain. He made me laugh and cry (sometimes at the same time). He shared his life and sometimes his soul and that I will never forget. He taught me about having dignity through pain.

The world is a better place because of Dan's life. That is his legacy. I will miss him even though I barely knew him.

Stephanie, I can't even imagine how you are feeling right now. No words can take away your pain but I want you to know that we are here for you and so is Dan. His spirit lives on through you.

I am so sorry I have to miss the service tomorrow but know that all of us who cannot be there are there in spirit.

Take care of you. May God bless you and keep you. May God lift his countance upon you and give you peace, now and forever more. Amen.

Posted by: Carla [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2005 08:04 AM

I am truly saddened by this news. Dan was an extremely courageous person to put this blog up and freely share his thoughts. I only knew him in the cyber sense but I found him to be both kind and caring. My life has taken some awkward turns in the last year but nothing that could compare to his battle. I will miss the daily inspiration I received from his blog and the assistance it provided me in fighting my own battles. May God bless Dan. My sincerest sympathies to you and your family on your tremendous loss.

Posted by: Ralph123 [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 15, 2005 11:23 PM

I am so, so sorry to hear this. I write briefly about Dan here. I'll try to write more later but let me sum up this way:

Dan was one of the finest people that I never met. I considered him a friend.

Posted by: Jheka [TypeKey Profile Page] at August 16, 2005 11:53 AM